UBC Let's Talk Science strives to improve science, technology, engineering and mathematics literacy through the outreach efforts of members of the research community at the University of British Columbia. Our volunteers work with youth from elementary and secondary schools to ignite science excitement and share their knowledge with eager young minds.
Volunteer With Let's Talk Science
If you have any questions about volunteering or want to find out training dates email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Outreach program volunteers pass on their passion for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) to Canada’s future. They shatter negative stereotypes and inspire children and youth to become engaged in STEM learning. Through Let’s Talk Science Outreach, we support educators and help youth form positive attitudes towards the role that STEM plays in their lives and futures.
Visit Inspiring Futures to explore more about the vital role volunteers play at Let’s Talk Science.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Develop Leadership Skills: Create your own STEM activities and take charge of special events and programs.
- Be a Role Model: Our volunteers are awe-inspiring. Motivate and inspire youth to enjoy, understand and pursue STEM.
- Develop Teaching Skills: Learn how to make STEM material interesting to young minds by designing engaging hands-on/minds-on activities.
- Develop Communication Skills: Gain experience speaking in front of audiences or writing effective articles, tailoring topics to various age ranges and making research in your own field accessible to children and youth.
- Network and Collaborate: Seize the opportunity to work in a team and meet like-minded people.
- Make a Difference: Be part of a national community that has excited, inspired and engaged over 3 million children, youth, educators, and volunteers since 1993.
- Personal Satisfaction: Share your love of STEM with children and be inspired by their enthusiasm!
Volunteer Support & Training
As a volunteer with Let’s Talk Science, we prepare you to succeed. You’ll have a network of staff and other volunteers there to support you! You’ll be provided with a direct contact who supports your Outreach efforts who provides you with volunteer opportunities, as well as access to training, guides, kits and materials to help get you started.
Let’s Talk Science Outreach volunteers also attend our Science with Impact® training workshops free of charge. Science with Impact® focuses on techniques that make outreach with children and youth a fun and rewarding experience! Topics covered include teaching strategies, learning theories, and techniques for designing innovative, custom hands-on activities on any STEM topic.